Sony’s flagship, the Xperia Z2 can now be easily customized, optimized and powered up as a compatible and safe to apply root solution has been made available for the same.
This guide explains two basic things that any power Android user requires of his Android handset; Root and Custom Recovery. This guide explains how to root Xperia Z2 Lollipop Firmware and install Dual Recovery (TWRP and Philz Touch CWM). The guide is for two variants of Xperia Z2; D6502 and D6503. This guide must not be used on any other variant of Xperia Z2 or any other Xperia handset. Number of files are used in the rooting process which are specific for Xperia Z2. There are some prerequisites for this guide.
( Its not required to unlock the bootloader.) You must complete these prerequisites before moving on to the rooting process. All of the steps are explained in detail so if you are new to this stuff, you’ll find this guide to be pretty much easy-to-follow Now, we will be rooting your Sony Xperia Z2 manually. Basically by flashing A pre-rooted Flashable Firmware For 23.1.A.0.690 FTF. Before that Downgrade to 17.1.2.A.0.314_Generic Firmware and Root It in order to Install XZ Dual Recovery, which enables us to flash the pre-rooted zip file after upgrading to the latest firmware. You can even take a backup of the TA Partition after acquiring root access. Though it is not needed it’s recommended to take a backup for future needs
Let’s get started
Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
First, you need to enable “Developer Options Menu”
Go to Settings > About phone
Scroll down to Tap the Build number field seven times to enable Developer Options. Tap the Back button and you’ll see the Developer options menu under System on your Settings screen.Now, you can enable USB Debugging mode.Go to Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging. Tap the USB Debugging checkbox.
Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
Install ADB and Fastboot
To manually install ADB and Fastboot on your Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8/8.1 computer (32-bit and 64-bit), go to this tool thread
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. Find the full guide here.
If the Android device powers off due to lack of battery while the rooting process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Xperia Z2 should have charge above 80% battery charge
Tutorial To Root Sony Xperia Z2
Downgrade to 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware and Root It
- You have to downgrade your device to KitKat OS and Root it.
- Watch my video or follow the guide to flash D6503_17.1.2.A.0.314_Generic Thailand.ftf
- After boot re-enable USB Debugging
- Root the phone using the flashtool itself, by clicking on the padlock and selecting supersu. Follow the instructions on the screen, Now the phone is rooted
- Backup TA Partition(optional)
Follow this Guide to download and backup TA.
Now Install XZ Dual Recovery.
- Download latest installer for Xperia Z2 from here. (Z2-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.installer.zip)
- Connect phone to PC using OEM data cable and run install.bat.(Make sure no other script or application which is using ADB is running)
- It will install the custom recovery.
Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For 23.1.A.0.690 FTF
- Download PRF Creator and install on your system.
- Download SuperSU zip and place anywhere on PC.
- Download 23.1.A.0.690 FTF and place it firmware folder of flashtool on PC.
- Now run PRFC and add all three required files in it.
- Then click on Create.
- Once the Flashable ROM is created, it will show the successful message.
- Now copy the pre-rooted firmware to the phone’s internal storage.
Root Sony Xperia Z2 Lollipop 5.0.2 without unlocking Bootloader
Root and Install Recovery on Z2 D6502/D6503 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware
- Custom recovery was installed in the first step.The pre-rooted firmware was created and copied to phone in next step.Now you have to turn off the phone.Turn it on again and press volume up or down repeatedly to enter custom recovery.
- locate the flashable zip and tap on it and install it.
- DO NOT reboot the phone.
- Go to wipe and format options wipe both Cache and Dalvik/ART Cache.
- Open flashtool and click on the lightning icon in the top left.
- Select the 23.1.A.0.690 FTF lollipop firmware. in the exclude options, exclude System only while flashing. Leave every other option as it is.
- Now on the recovery go to power options and select reboot to Flash Mode.
- The phone will enter flashmode. Now connect the USB cable Flashtool will automatically detect it and start flashing.
- After flashing phone will reboot and you will be done
Note that it might take about 10 minutes for the first boot
Now use the software update option from About Menu to upgrade to the latest 23.1.A.1.28 lollipop
Now your phone has a dual custom recovery, root access and, of course, the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware.